Buy More & Save!
• Buy 6 to 11 bottles for Free Shipping to WA, OR, & ID or $10 Flate Rate Shipping to other eligible states + 10% OFF Wine!

• Buy 12 or more bottles for Free Shipping to all eligible states + 15% OFF Wine! Discount automatically apply.  No coupon code needed. 

• Join the Wine Club for additional Membership Discounts and Perks!

2018 Chardonnay

Buy Wine

Tasting Notes

This wine offers intriguing layers of poached pears and green apples with hints of roasted pecans and exotic spices. The wine enters the palate with a round, slightly creamy mouthfeel with secondary flavors of marzipan, honeydew melons, toasted marshmallows, and undertones of crushed stones. The finish is smooth and balanced with a harmonious integration of acidity, fruit, and oak.

Vineyard Designation

100% Estate Grown

Vintage Notes

The 2018 Vintage was a classic Washington State Vintage with a mild winter and very hot summer. The winter leading to Spring was mild and temperatures in March/April were slightly above average leading to our Estate’s Vineyard bud break in middle April. A warm Spring provided perfect growth for the grapevines. Our meticulous farming practices allowed us to manage vigorous growth throughout the growing season so the plants reached our crop size yield goals for each block. A very hot summer with cool nights during 2018 advanced the ripeness and growth in the vineyards that we haven’t seen in the last few years providing for an optimal vintage. The hot summer allowed grapes to reach optimal maturity and ripeness levels far exceeding anything we saw in 2017 and 2016. White grape varietals saw a lot more sun exposure creating bountiful aromatics with balanced acidity. The red grape varietals made wines that are lush with dark fruit aromas and silky tannins. The 2018 Vintage will be one to enjoy for many years to come.

Winemaking Notes

Our 2018 Airfield Chardonnay displays the best of both worlds that Chardonnay’s from the State of Washington has to offer. 52% of our Chardonnay was fermented and aged in stainless steel and 48% in exclusive French oak with 40% of the oak being new French Oak and the remaining 60% 2-6yr old French Oak. Harvested in early October at optimal ripeness, the grapes were hand picked and sorted at the crush pad. The grapes were then sent directly to the press as whole clusters and pressed gently to maintain the fresh fruit and varietal characteristics. After settling out for 72 hours, 52% of the juice was sent to stainless steel tanks and 48% to exclusive French Oak Barrels for fermentation. The stainless portion was fermented cool with temperatures maxing out at 60 degrees, the barrels were fermented around 60-68 degrees until dry. After fermentation the barrels were inoculated for malolactic fermentation and closely monitored to ensure completion. Our main goal with Malo-lactic fermentation was to complete the secondary fermentation but allow the wines to maintain its amazing fruit quality without abstracting it from more “buttery tones”, the stainless portion did not undergo any malolactic fermentation. The wines then had their lees stirred in barrels and in tank twice a month for three months to help with the mouthfeel and to make the wines more round and balanced. Aged for 10 months in tank and barrels then blended with the oak and stainless and then an additional one month of concrete tank aging before bottling.

Food Pairing

Roast Lobster with Tarragon-Lemon Butter
Braised Pork with Pearl Onions and Grapes
Fresh Corn Soufflé with Bacon and Comté
Brie or Camembert

  • Varietal Composition: Chardonnay
  • Appellation: Yakima Valley
  • Cases Produced: 2,682 case
  • Alcohol: 13.6
  • pH: 3.52
  • Acidity: 6.6
  • RS: 0.11%
  • Ageability: Now through 2022

Download Wine Notes