Thanksgiving Wine Pairing Guide
At Thanksgiving, there are a lot of different flavors on the table – creamy, buttery mashed potatoes, roast turkey, tart cranberries, sugary sweet potatoes, herbed stuffing, green beans, spiced pumpkin pie, and more! Choosing just one wine to go with all of those dishes can be challenging.
The best place to start is by thinking about the wine preferences of your guests, as well as your personal preferences – after all, you want to enjoy it!
We also suggest breaking down the meal into sections…
- A starter wine to pair with appetizers or enjoy as guests arrive
- A wine to pair with the main course
- A final wine to enjoy at the end
When pairing wine with food, you traditionally begin with sparkling wine, a light-bodied white wine, or a rosé before proceeding to full-bodied whites and reds.
Below are some pairing suggestions from our Winemakers, Marcus Miller and Travis Maple:
Light, bright, and fruit-forward wines provide a great way to kick off the holiday festivities. They will pair well with charcuterie boards, veggie platters, and various appetizers. They also help cleanse the palate before the main course.
- Airfield Estates 2021 Blanc de Noirs Sparkling Wine
- Airfield Estates 2022 Sauvignon Blanc
- Airfield Estates 2022 Sangiovese Rosé
The quintessential Thanksgiving Feast can pair well with white or red wines. We recommend medium to full-bodied whites or medium-bodied reds.
- Airfield Estates 2022 Lightning (coming soon!)
- Airfield Estates 2021 Grenache
- Airfield Estates 2021 Cabernet Franc
- Airfield Estates 2021 Spitfire
Big, hearty reds can often overpower classic Thanksgiving fare. These wines make good options if you are having a heartier meal (such as prime rib or rack of lamb). Additionally, if you like to end on a bold note, these wines can serve well toward the end of the Thanksgiving meal as a bold finale.
- Airfield Estates 2020 H. Lloyd Miller
- Airfield Estates 2020 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- Airfield Estates 2020 Reserve Syrah
If you want to end on a sweet note, a dessert wine or a warm, holiday-spiced wine make good options, too.
- 2022 Late Harvest Riesling
- Holiday Spice Wine featuring a kit of our mulled wine spices and 2021 Bombshell Red
From all of us at Airfield Estates, we wish you a joy-filled Thanksgiving! We extend our heartfelt gratitude to our wonderful customers and loyal wine club members. We feel honored and privileged that our wines can enhance your holiday festivities. Cheers!